Providence Christian Academy is dedicated to the safety of our students and staff. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be implementing new guidelines to keep our students and faculty safe.
PCA has put the following plan in place to accommodate 5 days onsite instruction.
The safety and security of our students and staff is our top priority, in combination with providing 5 days of onsite instruction. We believe this is for the mental and academic well being of our students.
The following procedures will be put in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other illnesses:
- All students and staff will be trained in preventative measures to include social distancing, proper handwashing, cleaning, disinfecting, and when wearing masks are required.
- All staff, students, and visitors will undergo temperature checks upon arrival.
- Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 or higher will not be permitted to attend school
- Upon arrival, Upper School students will be asked COVID-19 symptom screening questions.
- Constant communication with Lower School parents to ensure students are not being sent to school without reviewing the COVID-19 questions
- Masks will be required in certain circumstances:
- Upper School students entering the school and heading to their lockers
- High School students when in the hallway changing classes
- At all other times Masks are optional. Anyone who would like to wear a mask is encouraged to do so.
- It is important that decisions made by individual students and families on this issue are fully respected
- PCA we will do it’s best to reinforce those decisions
- Students will remain in their classrooms for the majority of the day to include lunches
- Elementary School students will only leave their class rooms for recess
- Middle School teachers will travel to the classrooms
- High School Students will change classes and wear a mask when moving between classes
- Elementary grades will have recess outside as much as possible
- If too cold will be in the gym
- Each grade will be separated
- Regular sanitizing of play equipment will be a top priority
- Desks will be spaced approx. 5 feet apart or as close as possible to this based on individual classroom layouts with desks facing the same direction and if spacing in any area that does not meet these qualifications plastic desk dividers will be used.
- Class sizes are limited to 12 to 13 students per class
- Lockers will be assigned strategically to accommodate social distancing
- Locker rotation schedule will be put in place by grade
- No drinking directly from Water Fountains
- Water bottles can be filled with water from water fountains
- Preschool toys and other frequently-used items will be disinfected throughout the day.
- Field trips have been temporarily suspended
- Chapel will be held on Wednesday’s in individual classrooms
- Music will be an instructional class for Upper Grades only (No Choir)
- Each Middle School Class will be separate
- High School will be a combined class
- No Elementary Music classes
- Music Concerts have been temporarily suspended
- Before and After Care are temporarily suspended
- There will be no band this year
- Spring Sports will be cancelled, we will re-evaluate as the year goes on, most schools have already called and cancelled all games with us
- Should it become necessary for a parent to keep a student home due to an underlying issue, parents are asked to coordinate with their physician and alert PCA.
- We ask that families limit visits to the school as much as possible.
- Classroom desks at the Lower School will be disinfected multiple times a day
- Upper School desks will be disinfected before every class period.
- An ample supply of disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer will be available in every classroom and office
- Bathrooms will be cleaned on a regular basis
- Looking for Parent Volunteers so we can clean several times a day
Drop Off/Pick UP Procedures
- Students/Families will drop off either in the front or the back based on name
- High School and Middle School students will enter the school and go directly to marks in the lunch room awaiting dismissal in groups to go to their lockers and classrooms
- One Parent per child for PK3 through PK4 will be allowed to enter the building to walk students to their classroom. No other parents will be permitted to walk their student to class.
- Parents will be required to wear a mask
- Pick up will still be at the back of the building for K5 through 12th
- PreK3 through PreK4 dismissal parents are allowed to pull to the front of the building where their child will be accompanied to the parent waiting outside or parent’s car for pickup.
- Students will have lunch in their classrooms
- Students may pack a lunch or order hot lunches
- Hot lunches will be available to order online (must be ordered in advance)
- All snacks must be ordered online (must be ordered in advance as part of lunch order)
- K3 through 5th grade will not be allowed to pack lunches that require heating (no elementary class will heat lunches)
- Middle and High School only will be allowed to order items from the snack bar that require heating by filling out an order form in the morning (This does not include hot lunch meals, these must be ordered online)
- Middle and High School will be allowed to pack lunches that require heating
- Lunches will be delivered to each classroom
- All staff will be trained in proper sanitation procedures for classrooms and work areas
- All staff will be regularly briefed on the latest COVID-19 information and procedures
- Staff will not be required to wear a mask during instruction
- Masks will be required when moving through hallways
- Working with students one on one in close proximity
- While our goal is to hold classes on site throughout the year, we realize it may become necessary to switch to online learning for short periods of time.
- If a class or School is Quarantined staff will be prepared to provide online instructions or provide packets or a combination of both depending on the grade level for that period of time
- Following the same standards and instructions used during the March through May closure
While we are doing our best to prevent exposure, we realize we cannot eliminate the possibility that a student or staff member will become ill. Consideration also needs to be given to the possibility that some carriers of the virus are asymptomatic. In the event of illness or exposure, the following procedures will be followed:
- A COVID-19 team has been implemented with Primary POC being Marshall Sisler.
- Students, staff, and visitors who have had direct exposure to someone with the COVID-19 virus may not come to school. Those individuals should self-isolate at home as directed by their physician for the prescribed time period.
- Students or staff who become ill during the school day will immediately report to the office where they will be isolated.
- Parents will be notified and asked to pick up their student immediately
- Students with a fever will not be allowed to return to school until 3 consecutive days of no fever.
- If there is a positive case of COVID-19 at our school, we will notify health officials
- That students/teachers class will be asked to Quarantine at home for 14 days to include siblings in the same family.
- If HS, all HS students will be asked to Quarantine at home for 14 days to include siblings in the same family.
- If health Officials dictate a school wide Quarantine we will follow this guidance with the goal of eventually getting everyone back in the classroom.
- If it becomes necessary to transition to online distance learning PCA will put into effect the same process/procedures followed during COVID distance learning in March through May.
- Upper Classes will have regularly scheduled classes using Zoom
- New Schedules will be communicated to students and parents via a syllabus
- Jupiter will also be used as a mechanism to communicate with Students and Parents
- Strong email and phone communication will be established between students and teachers, as well as, parents and teachers
- Elementary will use Zoom to connect with peers and Teachers
- Elementary will use google class rooms from grades 3 through 5th to receive and submit assignments
- Lower Elementary grades will be provided packets on a regular schedule with a syllabus that communicates what the rest of the year will look like
- Packets will either be delivered or organized pick ups will be scheduled
- Other applications will be used depending on the grade to simplify the process and allow the best academic success without undue burden on the parents